Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Unbreak My Heart

One of Diane Warren's many number 1's. The Bee Gees "How Do I Mend A Broken Heart" and Frank Wildhorn/Chuck Jackson "Where Do Broken Hearts Go".
Grieving - the 5 processes of - "from Wikipedia Dr. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross posited sequential stages of grief including denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance, which are commonly referred to as the "grief cycle."
I never remember the 5 stages easily, however, I have also read that you don't go through them in a specific order, you go through the five as you feel. And you may repeat them over and over.
A thriving business has sprung up for grief counsellors, who help people who have lost loved ones to death. I have met some and know it is a business for them, and I have met others, who simply have incredible empathy for another's pain.
The five stages are applicable to losing a home, a job, a loved one to death, a loved one to divorce, any loss significant to the person concerned.
I have lost my dog, Anita. And cannot find a way through the pain yet. I don't want to walk the streets where I live, where I used to walk with her. I don't want to wake up and not see her face. I don't want to not be able to snuggle close to her and lay my head on her body, which was so soft, furry and comforting. I would gladly vacuum up all her hair again, or brush her daily, sometimes a chore, but it wouldn't be now. I can see her eyes clearly, they were so beautiful and we looked into each other. I simply just don't want to be without her.
I cannot remember experiencing unconditional love except from my Irish grandmother, until Anita came into my life. And she just simply loved me. Such a simple love and so comforting, and it's gone.
Yes, I know she remains in my heart and I can look at her photograph, but these are not enough.
Although a simple memory has just popped into my head. My brother, Darren and his wife, Becky brought their two sons, Ben and Luke to LA a few years ago. When they came through customs at LAX, Ben ran to me and put his arms around me and held me for such a long time. That felt so good and safe.
So I cry and cry, and am quiet.

1 comment:

  1. Ann, thank you for posting this entry. I needed so much to review the 5 steps. I can handle the first four it's the last one "acceptance" that is the most troublesome. I lost Molly, my ex dog about 6 years ago and I still miss her, I still look for her, but most of all I miss not being able to hug her. It would be great if you could write an entry on how to get through the last step.

    ReplyDelete