Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The 12 Steps - a design for living

I am not ashamed to accept that I am one of the one in 10 who has an addiction to alcohol. Have to say I had a huge amount of fun, outdrank a lot of men (useful in the music business - they were really annoyed when I'd get the down to the black ball as well) and fortunately, lived to tell the tale and to stop drinking. For me it gave me a design for living that I certainly did't have growing up. That was a design for survival perhaps, its the best I can say about that, except when visiting Ireland and my love Irish grandmother, who just personified love. I went to loys meetings. Was really fortunate to have the help of MU and the Grammy Foundation get me into an amazing rehab, where I learned more about myself than, I could have imagined. Rigorous honesty is one of the cornerstones of the program. Anonymity as to who you see in meetings and what you've heard them say, I absolutely uphold. Anonymity is not a legal right. But what do you do when a man, who professes to have over 19 years of sobriety and is proud of that and that he goes to meetings regularly, lies to you when he sells you a vehicle. Yes, Jim Simpson of Jim Simpson Llc who sells you his fathers pick up truck and lies to you, and does not disclose the full extenet of problems with the vehicle. I am confused as to how you can be rigorously honest, and not be?? An ex sponsor, Angel Schwartz allowed me to stay with her; for a fortunately very short while; when I was homeless. I did a huge amount of preparation and helped her considerably in painting a mural on Hollywood Boulevard at the Horse Carriage Museum. And had to endure Rush Limbaugh every day for ages. I did not paint the brilliant images she did, howwever, I did paint the fence, the foliage and flowers at the bottom quater of the painting. My name was credited "Assisted by Ann Munday". Excited to show a long term friend and brilliant songwriter of some of my artistic endeavour we drove north on Hollywood and stopped. Fortunately the gate was open, so we could go straight up and stand in front of it. My "Assisted by" has been painted out. Why would someone do that? And I have not forgotten the man who at a meeting, described a gang rape as a party prank. So I think I still stick to my 12 step program and my design for living, and continue to be as rigorously honestly honest as I can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment