Monday, February 14, 2011

PCs being a nuisance and Franca's blog on losing friends

I have changed something on my laptop, which of course, not knowing precisely what I am doing stops me every time I try to read my lovely friend Franca's latest blog and respond to it.
So I shall do it this way.
Franca writes of friends' deaths. And as is usual, it is an excellent read.
I am a pack rat and have most of my old address books, and when searching for a number or address, find friends who have died. In some way, I do not mind, because they bring back memory of that friend.
My father died 20 years ago this May and yet I see him flying above LA in the Tiger Moth a friend owned and took him up for a ride in, when Dad was over for my brother, David's wedding.
I am also a fan of Kahill Gibrain, although I have only read The Prophet, which I love.
Quoting from "Death" he wrote:
For what is it to die but to stand naked in the wind and to melt into the sun?
And what is to cease breathing, but to free the breath from its restless tides, that it may rise and expand and seek God unencumbered?
Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing.
And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb.
And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance.
This being Valentine's Day, my very favourite on marriage or a partnership is, (again from The Prophet)
"But let there be spaces in your togetherness, And let the winds of the heavens dance between you. Love one another, but make not a bond of love. Let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls. Fill each other's cup but drink not from one cup. Give one another of your bread but eat not from the same loaf. Sing and dance together and be joyous, but let each of you be alone, Even as the strings of a lute are alone though they quiver with the same music. Give your hearts, but not into each other's keeping. For only the hand of Life can contain your hearts. And stand together, yet not too near together. For the pillars of the temple stand apart, And the oak tree and the cypress grow not in each other's shadow."

1 comment: