Friday, August 6, 2010

Stevie Wonder, and Innervisions and The Rainbow, London

I just decided to see whether my totally and unbelievably scratched 1973 original CD release of Innervisions actually still plays.
Did give it a wash and it played perfectly all the way through!!
Innervisions was such a part of my early history in the music business. I cannot think how many times I listened to it. It encapsulated so many emotions and feelings for me.
I was fortunate enough to be invited by a journalist friend to go to the Rainbow Theatre in North London when Stevie Wonder did two shows in one evening. Probably around 73/74 or maybe 72 - I know I should look it up!
We arrived and I found myself first row, centre seat. Turned in complete disgust to my journalist friend and said what awful seats, the sound is going to be awful!!
It absolutely was not. I was virtually on the stage with Mr. Wonder and his band and he was probably about 6' - 7' away from me. By the end I was completely high (no, no substance involved) and on the way out saw the head of Motown UK talking with Paul McCartney. Who I very rudely interrupted and started speaking to John. But was making no sense as all my words were inverted and muddled. He'd never seen me like that, normally a reasonably sane woman and a very capable conversationalist. Asked me to slow down! I managed to get out a plea to stay for the second show, which he gladly granted me, one because he was a good man, and two he could get back to talking to Mr. McCartney.
Throughout my career I have been to many, many shows. Saw the Beatles in a small theatre in North London, and U2 at Radio City, and many other great acts. Also saw Stevie Wonder when he played Rock the Vote, and when he played one of Joni Mitchell's songs (again only a few feet away from where I sat at a table at either a BMI or ASCAP Awards, with a Tribute to Joni Mitchell as the highlight).
Amazing, amazing performer.
And he is only one of only two celebrities that I didn't know and actually walked up to (we were passing each other at LAX airport) him and with a grumpy looking minder glaring at me, told Mr. Wonder how amazing his Rainbow show was. He was delighted and kept repeating "you were at the Rainbow". A treasured moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment