Friday, August 6, 2010

Selling my CDs on Amazon.com -v- half.com (E Bay's)

Well, it was really, really hard to let go of my 1200 + collection of vinyl albums. A large majority of which, are in great condition and each contained a memory. However, Ed Eckstein had recommended Freak Beat Records (after I had ventured into Amoeba and encountered an extremely rude young man, who treated Savoy Brown with disdain as well as myself - and I shall never ever shop at Amoeba again!) and a lovely man, Tom arrived at the hopefully temporary housing I live in (tho' it's been 2 years now).
We'd probably met when I was running Chrysalis Music Group, and he was at Gem Records. Certainly must have been in the same places at the same times, or as Dr John might say right time, wrong place.
As we went through my collection I realised how many albums I bought. A lot from Tower Records. I highly respected the man who started it, even if his name will not come to me just at the moment. Solomon? Met him at a club in New York and found him to be a really good guy.
Most of them were in great condition because, who had time to listen to your own personal collection, when you had so many demos and the music you represented, to listen to.
That was always a great thing about working in LA. With the various distances you had to drive, you could always listen to music while doing so. No cell phones in those days!
Anyway, Tom and I chatted and I think it took 3 hours for us to go through the albums. I think he got a good deal. However, I am not complaining about what I got. I could have done my homework better.
Hard to let go of Elton John Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy, brown vinyl limited signed edition, which I was given when I worked for Elton and Bernie. And there are certain ones I have kept back.
Now as I go through about 600 + CDs, I find that most of them are in excellent order as well. And many are original releases. Again, many of them not played, because they were either in storage (as were my albums) for years, or for other reasons.
And selling on Amazon.com is a continuing learning process. Probably would have helped if I had read the "instructions", however, as Eddie Izzard says in his stand up routine about computers, when he gets a new Mac, he picks up the instructions and THROWS THEM AWAY!
I could compare it to black jack. You put a price, then someone else lowers theirs to beat yours, and so on and so forth. And obviously I am competing with people who sell on Amazon for a living, whereas I am selling mine to raise money for my art.
Certainly would recommend Amazon to anyone selling their CDs, whereas half.com, E-bay's company, where I listed about 20 has produced exactly zero results!

No comments:

Post a Comment