Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Vanessa and Sami

I was living in a really comfortable two bedroom flat in historic Brondesbury Park. Here I entertained friends and family. We had some enjoyable dinner parties with my aunts and uncles and my step mother. Unfortunately, I was also going through depression and PTSD, although I did see my friends, Fabiana Bocchi and her husband, Charlie Mallozzi. 
They had had a son, Giacomo and Fabi would frequently phone me because of concern about his health and I would drive over to their home. in Maida Vale. Sometimes, he would have to go to hospital.
Neville Farmer introduced me to Sarah Staunton and tried to get her a deal. Got her loads of gigs and many A&R people to see her. Chris Briggs liked her, however, was concerned that her songs were not strong enough.
Neville also became my room-mate. Neville's an outspoken political journalist and was an enjoyable companion.
At some point, Alia Dann who had been my PA also came to live there. She was neurotic about cleanliness and needed to place all her lotions, shampoos, etc in a particular order -
I needed support from the Government to pay my mortgage, as my mental state increased exponentially to impossible.
I rarely saw anyone.
I was looking for s 
At approximately 3:30 am on the morning of 31st August, my borther David phoned me, waking me up. He asked me if I knew that Princess Diana had died. I was fully awake. He asked me if I would consider returning to Los Angeles to help him as Jody had decided to divorce him and was determined to have full custody of their two daughters, Samantha and Vanessa.
I sold my home as soon as I could. 
And was fortunate as the parents of the neighbours to the left (both psychiatrists) were looking for a home for their parents. The downstair occupant, Hebert Daybell wished to sell and I was asked if I would sell. I agreed. 
I was rather sad, as my home had been used by Darren, my brother for his quiet stag night, before his wedding to the beautiful Becky. 
I stayed with my very close friend, Allan Rinde, who I loved dearly (wish I had married him). And David and Sami would visit.  Vanessa was not allowed to.
One day I realised from what David was reporting to me (Jody loudly shouting don't touch me and throwing herself on the floor (she bruised easily) that she was trying to set David up for abusing her.
His not very good lawyer agreed that he should move out.
Allan kindly let David and Sami live with us at North Flores Street, just off Melrose Avenue
At Christmas, Vanessa was allowed to visit for a few hours
Tom Bolan (my Copyright and  legal affairs at Chrysalis) was now living in Los Angeles.
As soon as I received notice that my furniture was arriving, David and I found a three or four bedroomed house (?) on 6th Street, managed by Park La Brea. 
Nothing like my very comfortable Brondesbury flat.
Brought over most of my furniture, which we used.  An antique table that eventually disintegrated.
Think I remember sending my fridge to Danielle as Park La Brea supplied one.
Tom and I quickly realised that David's lawyer was not that efficient and Tom found one of the top law firms in family law. Really good people. 
Jody's parents, Gwen and Larry arrived from Pennsylvania and stayed at a hotel in Beverly Hills. After the first court appearance it was agreed that there should be a custody evaluation. 
The Custody Evaluator visited Jody, Sami and Vanessa at their house on South Ogden Drive. Sami would only go if I agreed to stay outside this house. 
The next visit was with David, Vanessa, Sami and me. The Custody evaluation concluded that the only home where the two sisters could be together was with David and me. 
Jody had visitation rights with Vanessa, I would drive Vanessa over to Jody's new apartment not that far away from Park La Brea. 
Vanessa quite often got sick with throat problems and she loved to lay in my big bed. She never understood how I could be polite to Jody, didn't I know her mother hated me. 
One time I had to go to Vanessa's school and look through through the bins for her oral guard.
David (working for PacBell) had a very early start. I used to drive Vanessa to her school first, then return for Sami and we'd got and pick up Desiree and her brother (and I think Brittini although perhaps I just took her home from school) would drive them to their University High School, near the Mormon Temple
David would pick Vanessa up and take her home.
I would return to collect Sami, Brittini, Desiree, and her brother
Sometimes Jody would show up to try and pick up Samantha. Loud arguments would ensue and embarrass Sami in front of her friends.  Julian's (a good friend of Sami) mother, Sally would try and get her to stop - but to no avail. Sadly Sally died, however, I am in contact with her husband Gerry Vidal, through Facebook.
I got a job working as Personal Assistant to Craig Miller (founder of the AIDS Walks), however, had a hard time with the Office Manager.  She was a bully.   She left and went to manage the organisation that delivers food to homes of people with AIDS.
Craig was also asked to organise at that time the largest foot walk in the world in San Francisco, Bay To Breakers.
David used to drive me to the airport early on Monday morning and pick me up late on a Friday night. We shared a flat - Craig, Antonio and me - overlooking the beautiful harbour and the office was in an area called The Bowery. 
Was sitting at my desk one Saturday and it was St Patrick's Day and there was a noisy, however, fun parade.
Craig had a very bad habit of cutting it really tight to catch planes, and we missed quite a few.

No comments:

Post a Comment